New Visa Application Process
The Naval Families Federation (NFF) is pleased to report that on 19 March 2018, a new on-line service for Foreign and Commonwealth Armed Forces personnel and their family members seeking entry to the UK was launched by Visa4UK. This followed extensive tri-Service Family Federation, Ministry of Defence, and Service charity consultation with the Home Office. The NFF provided evidence as part of this consultation, as a result of feedback we received from families.
As a result of this change, applicants will not longer have to pay the health surcharge and then submit a request for reimbursement.
This has replaced the previous application process and paper form. All new applicants should now submit their applications via Visa4UK, using the following drop down menu:
Reason for visit: Settlement
Visa type: HM Forces
Visa sub type: (choose the correct category)
The new process applies to those applying for entry to the UK under the following routes, set out in Appendix Armed Forces of the Immigration Rules:
- A former member of HM Forces on discharge;
- A fiancé or proposed civil partner of a member of HM Forces;
- The partner or child of a member of HM Forces applying under Appendix Armed Forces;
- The partner or child of a foreign or Commonwealth member of HM Forces who is applying under Part 7 transitional arrangements;
- The partner or child of a British citizen member of HM Forces who is applying under Part 8 transitional arrangements;
- The bereaved partner or child of a member of HM forces applying under Appendix Armed Forces;
- A former Gurkha soldier who was discharged before 1997;
- The widow of a former Gurkha soldier who was discharged before 1997;
- The partner or child of a former Gurkha soldier discharged before 1997.
Appendix Armed Forces can be found here.
Guidance on all the above immigration routes can be found here.
Posted on: 3rd April, 2018