Boarding School

Where children are likely to experience disruption in their education due to the frequent postings/drafts of their parents, a boarding school might be considered a suitable option.

Boarding Schools in the UK

Boarding School Association: Impartial advice with a search facility for regions and types of school.

UK Boarding Schools Website: Impartial help and advice for parents to help find the right school for your child.

Affiliated Independent Schools are inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate. Click here to view the Inspection Report on the school of your choice.

If you are thinking of sending your child to boarding school and would like some advice on the subject, please visit the Children’s Education Advisory Service (CEAS) website. CEAS has been established specifically for Service families. It is aware of the unique circumstances of Service families and can offer information, advice and support on all aspects of a child/young person’s education within the UK and overseas. You can contact CEAS on: 01980 618244 or e-mail them at: CEAS is part of the Directorate Children and Young People; the MOD’s tri-Service lead for the delivery of statutory services for children and young people within the Armed Forces community worldwide.

CEAS can send out copies of the Metropolis UK Boarding Schools Guide. This has a comprehensive list of boarding schools and details useful information such as pupil gender, number of pupils and nearest airport etc.

CEAS advise that the best thing to do is to go and look at a shortlist of schools because nothing beats seeing it for yourself in assessing whether it will suit your child. Click here for a helpful broadsheet from CEAS which details questions which may help parents in making a shortlist. The annex to the document can be found here.

MOD Boarding School Allowances

Click here for information on the various allowances that may be available to you including:

  • Continuity of Education Allowance
  • Day School Allowance (North Wales)
  • Special Educational Needs
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Children’s Visits to Parents Serving Overseas

CEAS hold the Accredited Schools Database (ASD), a list of schools for which the Continuity of Education Allowance (CEA, formerly Boarding School Allowance) is admissible. If you wish to apply for the allowance, the school you choose must be on this list. CEAS can help you through the application process.

Most boarding schools are fee-paying, but some local authorities provide boarding education in Maintained Schools. Many of these schools have a high academic reputation and some of them are selective. The Local Education Authority (LEA) or Central Government pays the tuition fees. Pupil’s parents are responsible for paying the boarding element, but Boarding School Allowance (BSA) can be used to pay this. Most Maintained Boarding Schools accept pupils from 11+.