Domestic Abuse affects 1 in 4 women and 1 in 6 men and can impact anyone, regardless of background. It impacts significantly on the victim, the perpetrator and any associated children. Victims are not responsible for another person’s abusive or controlling behaviour. Any victim of domestic abuse has the right to be supported and to stay safe.
If you, or someone you know, is experiencing domestic abuse and need help or support you can find support through Naval Service Family and People Support, via the Police, or from specialist organisations, whose details are provided below, who exist to support anyone experiencing domestic abuse. If you need help in an emergency, if you fear for your safety or that of someone else you should always call 999 or the relevant emergency number if overseas.
- Naval Service Family and People Support (NS FPS) – 023 9272 8777
NS FPS offers free and confidential advice and support on all aspects of domestic abuse. Please give them a call to speak to one of their highly trained staff.
- The National Domestic Violence Helpline – 0808 2000 247
This Freephone 24 Hour National Domestic Violence Helpline, run in partnership between Women’s Aid and Refuge, is a national service for women experiencing domestic violence, their family, friends, colleagues and others calling on their behalf. For advice in Northern Ireland: 0800 917 1414, Scotland: 0800 027 1234 or Wales: 0808 80 10 800.
- Women’s Aid – 0808 2000 247
Women’s Aid is the national charity working to end domestic abuse against women and children. They empower survivors by keeping their voices at the heart of their work, working with and for women and children by listening to them and responding to their needs.
- SSAFA the Armed Forces charity – 0800 731 4880
SSAFA provides lifelong support to anyone who is currently serving, or has ever served, and their families including those experiencing domestic abuse. Their Stepping Stone Homes are a safe place to stay for women and their children experiencing domestic abuse.
- Men’s Advice Line – 0808 801 0327
Men’s Advice Line is a confidential helpline for men experiencing domestic violence from a partner or ex-partner or from other family members.
- Mankind Initiative – 01823 334244
This confidential helpline is available for all men across the UK suffering from domestic violence or domestic abuse by their current or former wife or partner (including same-sex partner).
- Galop – 0800 999 5428
Galop offers emotional and practical support for LGBT+ people experiencing domestic abuse.
- Respect – 0808 802 4040
The Respect Phone line is for anyone who is concerned about their own behaviour towards their partner (male, female, in heterosexual or same-sex relationships).
- The Royal Navy Chaplaincy Service works within Royal Navy and Royal Marine units throughout the world. It is completely confidential and available to service personnel and their families. Chaplains are able to provide guidance and pastoral support regardless of your religious beliefs. You can find a Chaplain by contacting your nearest unit.
- Citizens Advice Rushmoor runs a national e-mail support service for victims of domestic abuse from within the Foreign and Commonwealth community of the Armed Forces. The e-mail service can also be accessed by practitioners working with these families. Advice will be given specific to the needs of the individual to enable them to make informed decisions. The e-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aurora New Dawn provides an Armed Forces Advocate service to victims of domestic abuse, sexual violence and/or stalking (aged 16+), as follows:
- Where the victim is a serving member of the armed forces;
- Where the victim is from an armed forces family (parents or partner are serving members of the armed forces);
- Where the abuse is perpetrated by individuals who are either serving members of the armed forces or veterans.
This can be accessed from anywhere in the UK or overseas by calling +4423 9247 9254 or emailing email@example.com
- Full list of support organisations
- Defence Domestic Abuse Strategy (2018-2023)
- JSP 913: Tri-Service Policy on Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence (accessible via DII)
- The Armed Forces Domestic Abuse Website
- Domestic Abuse Information Sheet