Forces Families Jobs
Recent tri-Service research, Military Spouse/Partner Employment: Identifying the barriers and support required conducted by the Warwick Institute for Employment Research resulted in a key recommendation, the need to create a central portal for employment and training opportunities for Service spouses, partners and family members.
The three Families Federations are working collaboratively with Defence Relationship Management to create this platform to enable spouses, partners and family members of current UK Armed Forces military personnel to have a ‘one-stop shop’ where they can apply for jobs directly with employers who have signed the Armed Forces Covenant as well as find signposting to career and training opportunities.
The overall aim of this employment platform is to create a free-of-charge site that bridges the gap and enables the link between spouses and family members on the one hand, and employers training providers, on the other.
There are two main sections on Forces Families Jobs – ‘Jobs’ and ‘Training and Career Development’.
- The Jobs section will allow employers to advertise jobs suitable for family members of serving personnel, free of charge. All employers will be asked to identify how they are ‘Forces friendly’.
Spouses will be able to search for jobs in similar ways to many other job However, uniquely, all employers have committed to support Forces families. This is important as 45% of spouses interviewed in the research undertaken by Warwickshire University felt they had been discriminated against due to their connection to the Services.
- The training and career development section will bring together all the excellent existing initiatives available for serving families into one place, making it easier for spouses and partners to find. There will also be a section for training and courses that have been discounted specifically for Forces families.
What are the benefits to you, the employer, in signing up to advertise your jobs on this site?
- Advertise your jobs to this audience free of charge.
- Search our candidate database and download candidate CVs free of charge.
- Fulfil your commitment to the Armed Forces Covenant (AFC) and progress through the Employment Recognition Scheme (ERS) by demonstrating your commitment to Service spouses.
- Have your own company profile where you can articulate your specific commitments to the Armed Forces Covenant and your ERS level.
- This is not a paid for service but is provided free to those who have signed the AFC.
- The platform is currently under construction.
- Please note that we cannot guarantee that applicants are military spouses as the site does not require them to provide proof of identity.
- We will not charge a fee for advertising jobs on this platform or for you using the candidate CV database search. Once the site is ready it will be available at www.forcesfamiliesjobs.co.uk where you will be able to login and view your profile within your account.
- You will also be able to add email addresses of other users within your organisation to your account. You will be able to search for candidate CVs for those candidates who have agreed to have their CVs made available for search. In some instances, the candidates will have selected the option of receiving and approving the request to have a company download their CV. They will then need to approve your request to download their CV before you are able to action this.
- We are planning on enabling the Broadbean multi-poster feed to this jobsite.
- We can potentially arrange for an integration to your preferred multi poster. Please note that this will have a time and cost implication which we would ask you to pay for. This will need to be confirmed with the multi poster in question and will vary depending on requirements.
- Please note that if you are a recruitment agency, you can advertise jobs on this site where you are employing people directly within your organisation but you cannot advertise jobs on behalf of clients. If a client has signed the Armed Forces Covenant you will need to advertise via their direct employer account on the site. In instances where they do not have a Forces Families Jobs account, you can sign up for one on their behalf, with their permission and advertise accordingly. This is to ensure that all roles advertised on this site are by AFC signatory companies only.
As a business you will be required to provide us with a link to your website, a logo and a few paragraphs about the support that you can provide to service families.
Please see this document for for further information and the registration form for employers.
What are the benefits to you, the training provider, in signing up to promote your training opportunities on this site?
Advertise your opportunities and courses to this audience free of charge, by completing a form and returning to us by email.
Within the training section of the site, have a summary of your own company profile where you can articulate your specific commitments to the Armed Forces Covenant (AFC) and the support services that you provide.
This is not a paid for service but is provided free to those who have signed the covenant.
- By submitting a form, you are acknowledging that you agree to having your relevant organisation information displayed on the Forces Families Jobs platform.
- The platform is currently under construction. Once it is ready it will be available at www.forcesfamiliesjobs.co.uk
- The Training provider page is content and signposting only and will direct interested parties to your website.
- Please note that we cannot guarantee that course applicants are military spouses as the site does not require them to provide proof of identity.
As a training providers you will be required to provide us with a link to your website, a logo and a few paragraphs about the support that you can provide to families.
Please see this document for further information and the registration form for training providers.
Who will be able to advertise opportunities?
The training and career opportunities section does not require the training provider to be a signatory of the Armed Forces Covenant or proof of Employer Recognition Scheme Status, but they will need to meet one of the following criteria to advertise on Forces Families Jobs:
- Provide a FREE service to Armed Forces Families
- Provide a discount or subsidised rate specifically for Service families
Information for spouses, partners and family members
Are you looking for a new job? Are you ready for a change in career? Forces Families Jobs is ready to help. Forces Families Jobs will be the go-to place for training and employment for family members of current serving UK military personnel.
You will be able to apply for jobs and access employment and training opportunities with companies and organisations who are Forces family friendly. You will be able to use the website with confidence, knowing that all of the employers have signed the Armed Forces Covenant or are able to demonstrate their commitment to the Armed Forces. This will be your gateway to accessing information about acquiring new skills, upgrading your existing skills or applying directly to employers who are understanding of the unique challenges that come with being a family member of a Serving Person.
We already have a whole host of specially chosen employers who’ve shown us that they celebrate military families and are waiting to employ someone like you! This site will give you access to hundreds of current, high quality jobs through its powerful search engine. By subscribing for job alerts you can pro-actively receive new job notifications directly into your inbox daily, weekly, or moments after the job is posted. To increase the ways through which you can find a job, you will be able to upload your CV, create a profile and make your details searchable. This will make you visible in our candidate database, which will be searched by prospective employers looking to fill their vacancies, and which maximises your chance of finding a new job through Forces Families Jobs.
The website will be launching in September for spouses, partners and family members to create their candidate profiles and search for jobs. Please keep an eye on our social media accounts and look out for us at Families Days in the coming months for the latest new on Forces Families Jobs.
If you have any questions, please get in touch with our Employment Specialist and Policy Adviser, Lucy Heaver at Lucy.Heaver@nff.org.uk.