Allowances & Benefits

Personnel should refer to the latest version of JSP 752 on the Defence Intranet for full and up-to-date information on allowances.

Personnel requiring assistance or information regarding pay, pensions, allowances, or bonuses you should contact their Unit Personnel Office, the Joint Personnel Administrative Centre (JPAC) or the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency (SPVA).

Types Of Allowances Available To Naval Personnel

There are many types of allowances payable in particular circumstances and a general guide to allowances can be found here:

Tri-Service JPA Allowances – The New Regulations

(Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view this file.)

Post SDSR – Changes to Allowances
Following the required cuts in budget set out by the Strategic Defence & Security Review, the Government has made changes to many Armed Forces allowances. Click here for a summary of the changes.

Service Benefits
The intranet site entitled Service Personnel Benefits provides information on the total package of benefits, both financial and non-financial, on offer to members of the Royal Navy. Please note that this link is only accessible to personnel through the Defence Intranet.

Armed Forces Benefits, Pension, Scheme Pays and Redundancy Calculator
The Armed Forces’ Benefits Calculator will provide you with an indication of the value of the total benefits you receive as a member of the Armed Forces. The Pension & Annual Allowance Calculator provides a guide to the pension benefits you could expect to receive under Armed Forces Pension Schemes.

Council Tax Information

Council Tax can be a confusing subject for Serving personnel and their families. There are circumstances in which the standard rules do not apply to the Armed Forces community.  The Serving person can be exempt from paying, or have to pay Contributions in Lieu of Council Tax (CILOCT). Click here for information on Council Tax Relief for the Armed Forces Community – updated June 2011.

Serving personnel can find out more about Council Tax within JSP 752 Chapter 2 Section 5, which is available on the Defence Intranet.

Further information can also be found on the Army Families Federation’s website and on