Money Worries & Debt

In the current economic climate many people are finding that money is becoming a worry. If you are finding yourself falling behind with repayments or have debts, there are many organisations that can provide non-judgmental advice and help.

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) – Can offer advice on many subjects, including debt issues and welfare benefits. CAB have offices in most towns.

Citizens Advice Northern Ireland – Can offer advice on many subjects, including debt issues and welfare benefits.

Citizens Advice Scotland – Can offer advice on many subjects, including debt issues and welfare benefits.

Credit Action – The money management charity offer online financial advice.

GOV.UK – This Government website provides a wealth of information on many financial elements including; managing money and debt issues, benefits and financial support. It is an excellent site to research before making any financial decision.

Joint Personnel Administration Centre (JPAC) – JPAC is the first point of contact for queries from serving personnel regarding various issues, including pensions and pay. If you are having problems with your pay contact the JPAC.

National Debt line – Provide free, confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems. You can call their helpline on: 0808 808 4000.

Piggy’s Bankruptcy Website – This is a not for profit organisation that provides free help to individuals facing the prospect of bankruptcy in England and Wales. It provides advice on how to recover from bankruptcy and alternatives options. For more information visit their website or call for free advice on: 0845 6434 470

The Money Advice Service Health Check – This organisation provides clear, independent and unbiased advice for free to help people make informed financial choices. Their website offers a wide range of tools and resources, including a financial health check and personalised action plan. You can also get advice over the phone on: 0300 500 5000, and face-to-face across the UK through a national network. Click here to access their website.

StepChange Debt Charity – A registered charity offering free, confidential advice and support to anyone who is worried about debt. Their counseling and debt advice can help you get back in control of your money and on with your life. For online debt counseling, tailored to your individual circumstances visit their Debt Remedy service. Alternatively you can call their freephone helpline on: 0800 138 1111 to speak to a Debt Counselor.

RN/RM Welfare – This organisation supports Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel and their families by helping to prevent or reduce the effects of personal difficulties, especially those which arise as a result of Service life. An understanding of the complexities of Service life and its effects are central to the understanding and ethos of the agency.

RN/RM Welfare is staffed by Service people and civilians from a variety of specialisations and offers advice, counseling and advocacy on many issues including finance and debt.

RN/RM Welfare have three main offices in the UK. Where the serving person’s next of kin resides determines which office to contact.
The contact details for RN/RM Welfare offices are as follows:

  • Eastern Area Office – HMS NELSON – Tel:  023 9272 2712  – After Hours  023 9272 6159
  • Western Area Office – HMS DRAKE – Tel:  01752 555041  – After Hours  01752 555220
  • Northern Area Office – Helensburgh – Tel:  01436 672798  – After Hours  01436 674321  (Ext: 4005)

Homeport Article: Borrow in Haste – Regret at Leisure?
Most of the high street banks won’t give you a loan for a couple of hundred pounds; they say it isn’t economically worthwhile. In these circumstances, people often turn to the so-called High Cost credit providers, who make lending small sums worth their while by charging far higher rates of interest. They often have less stringent (or no) credit checks. Click here to read the full article.