Overseas education

Overseas education

If you are offered an overseas assignment, you will have to look carefully into the overseas education available for your children. It is essential that your children are registered on JPA, and that you contact the Overseas Education and Supportability Team (OEST – formerly CEAS)* for advice. This is especially important if you have a child with Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND).


The type and quality of education available will differ from country to country and often from one part of a country to another. Remember that what is right for one child is not necessarily right for another. The age and ability of your child will have an effect on your decision. The opportunity for a child to be educated in a different system and different culture can be attractive, but you will have to weigh up carefully the advantages and disadvantages.


*Important note: The pages are being updated to reflect the restructure in the MOD’s education teams. The information on our website is correct as of May 2022. 

General information

Education provision overseas can be roughly divided into the following types, not all of which will be available in every location: 

  • MOD schools; 
  • English speaking schools (these may be local state schools, or in some cases independent day schools); 
  • Non-English-speaking schools (local state schools, with an allowance to help your child to learn the local language); 
  • International schools (independent, usually English-speaking schools). 


If you decide that there is no suitable schooling for your child at the overseas location you might want to consider boarding in the UK. The Continuity of Education Allowance (CEA) is available for eligible Service personnel to help them with the cost of boarding education. 

MOD Schools

MOD Schools is part of the Defence Children Services (DCS – formerly DCYP). MOD schools and settings provide education to the dependent children of Service personnel and MOD entitled civilians, entitled contractors and fee payers. MOD schools are predominantly overseas, with one school in Scotland. 

Unaccompanied Minors Flights

Different airlines have different policies regarding unaccompanied minors’ flights. To understand an airline’s specific unaccompanied minors’ policy, have a look on their website. 


If you cannot find an airline to book an unaccompanied minors flight, MOD policy will fund return flights for one parent to collect their children. Please refer to the following sections in JSP 752 for details: 

  • 10.0222: Locations where no Airline Offers an Unaccompanied Minors (UNMIN) Service to/from/within the UK 
  • 10.0223: Reimbursement of any Costs Charged by Civilian Airlines for the Moving of Unaccompanied Minors (UNMINS)