World Children’s Day – Resources for Service children
It is World Children’s Day today (20th November) and we are thinking of the children of serving Royal Navy and Royal Marines personnel.
Whether it is ‘weekending’ or deployment, we understand that Royal Navy and Royal Marines families spend a considerable amount of time away from each other:
- 37% of RN & RM families live apart during the working week;
- 39% of RN & RM families experienced separation of more than 3 months in 2018
(Source: FamCAS 2019)
To help you and your young person cope with separation and to support resilience, we run a 2-year project (funded by LIBOR) to provide serving Royal Navy and Royal Marines families with reading books. Choose your free reading book from a tailored list that caters for all ages and covers a wide range of topics – including parenting books, books that help explain deployment, and more. We have also produced a parental absence resource to provide some strategies to help families thrive.
Guidelines for provision of books/ resources
- Parental absence resource:
– We are only able to send hard copies to our beneficiaries and those who support them due to resource constraints.
- LIBOR-funded project:
– A maximum of one book for each child/ family member of current serving Royal Navy/ Royal Marines personnel. You will be asked to provide your (or your serving person’s) Service number for eligibility purposes.
– While every effort will be made to process orders quickly, this project is not supported by any additional staffing resource, so please be patient with us.
- Click here for a full list of books
- Click here to fill out a consent form to claim your book
- Click here to access our parental absence resource