Service Family Accommodation (SFA)

Service Family Accommodation (SFA)

Look out for updates and news for SFA by keeping an eye on the government’s website.

Service Family Accommodation (SFA) is accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence (MOD) for Service and entitled civilian personnel with dependent families.  Explore the range of topics associated with SFA below.


Pinnacle Home Services

The Pinnacle Home Services Team is the primary point of contact for Serving personnel and families for housing and the allocation of SFA and they are responsible for managing the application process as well as:

  • Acknowledging receipt of the e1132 and allocate SFA in accordance with the applicant’s entitlement and availability within 15 working days.
  • Manage the provision of Non-Availability Certificates (NAC) in cases where Substitute SFA (SSFA) needs to be sourced and allocated.
  • Consider and action requests for retention of service family accommodation.
  • Deal with enquiries from prospective occupants on any aspect of the allocation process.


Enquiries relating to moving home, applications and allocations can be made by calling Pinnacle Homes Services Team at the National Service Centre (NSC) and selecting Option 2. They’re available from 08:30- 15:00 Monday to Friday:

  • UK: 0800 031 8628
  • Overseas: +44 (0) 161 605 3529
  • Full list of contact details can be found on their website.

*If the NSC call you, the number will show as 0161 605 3578.

1. Entitlement and application

To be entitled to SFA Service personnel must be: 

  • Aged 18 or over, have completed Phase 1 training and be serving on a regular engagement with the UK Armed Forces, or be a Full Commitment (FC) Reservist as defined in single Service instructions. For those personnel under 18 years of age the parent unit must accept responsibility for their behaviour until the 18th birthday.
  • In Personal status category (PStatCat) 1, 1C, 1S or 2 as defined in JSP 752, Chapter 2 Section 2.
  • Have at least 6 months to serve at duty station.


Full entitlement criteria can be found in JSP 464 (Vol 1, Part 1, Chapter 3).


Infographic of a family home - the families journey in Service Family Accommodation

Location and size of property

SFA is at Service personnel’s duty station or within a set radius; although you may be eligible to apply for surplus SFA at other locations or request and retain a property under the RN Base Port Agreement.


The type of property you are entitled to is usually dependent on your rank for officers and family size for other ranks. When you apply for SFA, the Pinnacle team will allocate you a property using the preferences you have expressed and based on your entitlement or eligibility, competing requirements, and service agreements. Under the Future Accommodation Model (FAM), properties in the confirmed pilot sites will be allocated according to your need rather than your rank. Those pilot sites are HMNB Clyde, Aldershot Garrison (starting from 31st January 2020) and RAF Wittering (starting from 31st May 2020).

Long-term relationship (LTR)

The MOD policy on cohabitation in SFA in the UK changed on 1 April 2019 and it was updated on 1 February 2020.


If Service personnel (SP) can demonstrate that they are in an Established Long-Term Relationship (LTR(E)) then they are eligible to cohabit with their partner in surplus SFA – where available.


The MOD has specific criteria that defines an LTR and SP must provide evidence of 365 days or more of their established LTR to enable this to be recognised on JPA.


This does not give entitlement to SFA but it is a widening of the eligibility. Cohabitation does not entitle SP to any allowances other than what they are already entitled to in line with their PStatCat.


How to register and record a long-term relationship, the guide to acceptable evidence and the process flowchart on how to register and establish a long-term relationship can be found in JSP464 (Vol 1, Part 1, Annexe A to Chapter 1 onward)


SP wishing to cohabit in surplus SFA in the UK will still be required to comply with Para 0301 of JSP 464, Vol 1, Part 1 as follows:

  • Be aged 18 or over;
  • Have completed Phase 1 training;
  • Be serving on a regular engagement in the UK Armed Forces or be a Full Commitment Reservist as defined in single-Service regulations.


There is no guarantee that surplus SFA will be available at the next location should Serving Personnel be assigned elsewhere, so plan for the future and think about how your accommodation needs would be met if this wasn’t available.

e-1132 form

If you are entitled or eligible, you will need to complete and submit an application for SFA. All Service personnel who have access to the Defence Intranet are expected to complete their application online using the e-1132 form. To access the form, copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar when logged on to the Defence Intranet:


The e-1132 form system allows you to:

  • Track the progress of your application;
  • View available properties that match your entitlement;
  • Register your top 3 preferences;
  • Book your ‘move in’ (once an offer for a property has been made and accepted);
  • Where appropriate book your ‘move out’ appointment;
  • Electronically signing your licence to occupy.


If you do not have access to Defence Intranet – if you are deployed on operations and cannot access the system, you can submit a paper form JSP 464 (Part 2, Chapter 4).

Further information/ enquiries
  • You can find out more about your entitlement and eligibility for SFA and SSFA from JSP 464. For applications within the UK, see part 1. For overseas applications, see part 2.
  • To discuss an application for service family accommodation or you have a query on allocations you must contact the NSC:
  • Email:
  • UK tel: 0800 031 8628 (option 2, available 08.30 – 15.00 Monday to Friday).
  • Overseas tel: +44 (0) 161 605 3529.

*Should the NSC call you, the number that will show is 0161 605 3578.

  • Further information about applications and allocations is available via the Pinnacle website.
2. Substitute Service Family Accommodation (SSFA)

On occasions there may be insufficient service family accommodation to meet the demand. If you are assigned to a location where SFA is not available, privately rented accommodation may be sourced and allocated to you.


Once you have submitted your e1132, if there are no SFA available you will be given a Non-Availability Certificate (NAC). Once this has been issued the MOD Contractor responsible for identifying and sourcing a suitable property can begin the process.


The other option is to wait for SFA to become available, however this carries risks. You may have to wait an indefinite amount of time, you may lose your eligibility to claim for removals and Disturbance Allowance and refusing the NAC is seen as refusal of the offer.


Houses are sourced from the commercial rental market by the MOD Accommodation Agency contractor (currently Mears) and as far as is possible, will meet the equivalent size and specification of property that broadly reflects the prospective occupant’s equivalent SFA entitlement. The property will also usually be located within an appropriate radius (10 miles maximum) of the place of duty.


Service personnel are not permitted to source their own SSFA, this process is managed by Mears.


To read more about the SSFA rules and regulation, see JSP 464.


Substitute Accommodation enquiries can be sent to

3. Additional needs and disabled requirements

For any adaptation requirements or changes to your SFA, whether you are moving into a new property or are already living in one, you will need to contact Pinnacle. Their team will record your request and ask you to provide an up to date Medical Report and/or Occupational Therapist’s report in order to progress your request.


  • You can visit Pinnacle’s website to learn more about the Additional Needs / Disability Adaptations (ANDA) application process.
  • To read the guiding principles, process guidance and flow chart for ANDA applications please refer to JSP464 (Vol 1, Part 2, Annexe C to Chapter 6 onward).
  • If you are concerned about any issues surrounding your ANDA application or adaptations, please contact Pinnacle directly by calling 0800 031 8628 or
4. Moving in

Once you have accepted your new home and the Licence to Occupy has been signed, you are ready to arrange your move in.


You book your move in date and time on the e1132 via Defence Intranet. On the day, at the agreed time you will be greeted by a Housing Officer who will give you a full home tour, hand over the keys and work with you to complete the digital move in form.


This is completed to record any important information, such as any faults found at move in and the action taken to resolve them, meter readings, details of recent safety inspections and your contact details. At the end of the move in appointment, you will be asked to sign the Move In Form to confirm that you are satisfied your new home meets the move in standard.


It is important to note that SP are to take over and move in to accepted SFA within 14 days of their stated required date so if you are moving due to a new assignment or for personal or service reasons you will need to factor in to your plans the dates attached to your move as you can only be the licensee for both homes for a period of 14 days at any one time before you are charged for both homes.


If you can’t be there at the move in appointment you can nominate someone to be there and act on your behalf. This can be your spouse/civil partner or a colleague. To nominate a proxy you will need to add them to the e1132 system.


Move in appointments can only take place during normal working hours.


At your move in appointment, they will book a second visit with you for around 14 days later. This is to give you time to move in, get settled and have the chance to consider any further queries or concerns you may have about your new home.


Visit Pinnacles guide to familiarise yourself with the move in procedures.

5. Repairs and maintenance

To report a fault or a repair that is needed in your home you must contact Pinnacle, however depending on where you live in the country, it will be a VIVO or Amey contractor who attends to fix the issue. At some point you may be contacted by them rather than Pinnacle.


VIVO are the regional contractors for the South East and South West, Amey are the regional contractors for Central and North – see the area map here.

Report your repairs

There are several ways you can report repairs in your home:

  • Live chat (purple chat button on the bottom right);
  • Call the National Service Centre here: 0800 031 8628 (option 1)
  • Email:
  • Other ways to get in touch
  • Coming soon: HomeHub


General information about your home, ‘how to’, reporting and resolving issues inside and outside your SFA is available on Pinnacle’s website.  The maintenance service provided is free of charge to families living in SFA and the response times to attend to repairs are dependent on the seriousness of the issue reported.


You should never arrange for contractors who are not part of this contract to attend your home and make repairs, this work cannot be guaranteed and the MOD will not pay for it. Please contact Pinnacle to report all maintenance issues.


Give them as much detail and information as possible, it will help them correctly diagnose the problem and send the right engineer.


Your repair will be categorised as either an emergency, urgent or routine.


Visit the Pinnacle website to read more about repairs, what information will be asked and how Pinnacle decide on response times.


When contractors attend your home, be vigilant and don’t be afraid to ask for their credentials or identification. It is very rare for Pinnacle, VIVO, Amey or DIO staff to turn up unannounced and if you are in any doubt contact the NSC on 0800 031 8628.


You can visit Pinnacle’s website to provide your feedback:

  • Complaints.
  • If you’ve had a missed appointment, a failed move in or the wrong tradesperson has turned up, you may be entitled to compensation.
  • Should you experience total heating loss, compensation may be issued to cover increased energy costs caused by the use of temporary heaters. Payable via bank transfer.
Encroachments, pets and business activity

If you want to keep pets, install a pond or satellite dish or run a business from your SFA you will need to ensure you have permission to do this and that it is sought in advance. Please call 0800 031 8628 (option 2)


JSP 464 (Vol 1, Part 1 Chapter 6, Rules and Conditions for Occupation) gives full details on all of this.

Compulsory Safety checks

These are required by law to be carried out and include an annual gas safety inspection, periodic electrical inspection and if applicable, an annual oil-fired boiler inspections.


These checks are carried out by VIVO or Amey on behalf of DIO and you will be contacted 3 months prior to the date the checks are due. This will be typically by email unless you have stated that you would prefer to be contacted a different way.


You will receive reminders at different points leading up to your pre-booked appointment and you can re-arrange at each of these points, should you need to.


You must allow these checks to be carried out and allow the contractors access to your home. If for any reason the appointment is not convenient for you, contact Pinnacle who will rearrange this.


Serving personnel are authorised to take time off for these appointments to enable these safety checks to be carried out, just be sure to clear this with your Chain of Command.


If you refuse entry to the contractors or continually change or rearrange these appointments to stop these checks being carried out, there is a system in place that could result in your home being forcibly entered and the inspection done.


DIO follow a strict process and will engage with your Chain of Command before getting to this point and will not take this decision lightly. The cost of repairing or replacing the lock will be your responsibility.


DIO have developed The SFA Customer Charter and this is their commitment to Service personnel and their families.

6. Energy
Utility bills

You are responsible for utility bills from the date of Move In until the date of Move Out unless the home falls under an MOD fuel supply arrangement. You can choose to remain with the existing suppliers to their SFA or negotiate their own utility provider for gas and electricity.


Families entering into private agreements with utility providers must ensure that the contracts include a caveat enabling them to terminate the agreement by giving 28 days’ notice of ending the agreement and 48 hours’ notice of termination.


DIO’s Industry Partner is permitted to provide some personal details to utility providers within GDPR guidance when families fail to settle their utility bills on Move Out. However, you should remember it is you responsibility to notify your supplier that you are leaving a property.


Families must ensure they take a meter reading at the Move In appointment and at the Move Out appointment. You must also inform you energy supplier of your final meter reading at Move Out and supply a forwarding address.

Smart meters

You can request the installation of a smart meter in your home by your energy provider. You do not need to seek approval from DIO to have this installed and there is no need to remove the smart meter when you move out of your SFA. The digital display unit can be left for the next family to use. Visit Pinnacle’s website for more information.

Electric Vehicle Charging Points (EVCP)

With electric or hybrid vehicles becoming increasingly popular, DIO launched an EVCP pilot in the South East. Following its success this is now being rolled out UK wide.


Subject to funding, delivery of EVCPs is being planned across the SFA estate. Woolwich and RAF Leeming being the first areas for this to be carried out, with other estates being considered. DIO will write to families where this is being planned to give full details prior to any work starting.


 Families in SFA that has off-road parking or a dedicated garage within its immediate vicinity will be eligible to have an individual EVCP installed. If you have registered for an EVCP and your SFA meets the eligibility criteria, you will be contacted by Pinnacle to arrange for a survey and installation, where appropriate.


If you are in the process of buying an electric vehicle or have already purchased one and have not yet requested a charging point, contact Pinnacle on 0800 031 8628 or to register your interest.


There are no costs to families for an EVCP installation, and grant funding cannot be claimed. Please note, if you install an EVCP without requesting approval, you may incur charges when moving out.


You can download a guidance here.

7. Dealing with damp and mould

DIO acknowledge that not enough has been done in the past to ensure all homes are free of damp and mould and are working hard to ensure all homes are to a standard that befits the many sacrifices Service personnel and their families make on behalf of the nation. Recent investment to SFA has seen significant improvements to around 45% of SFA, benefitting around 22,000 Service families but they realise more needs to be done.


Work to replace windows, doors, roofs and upgrades to thermal efficiency and ventilation to reduce the occurrence of damp and mould in homes is being undertaken and a Damp and Mould action plan that provides a more proactive approach has been launched.


Pinnacle have a dedicated section on their website in relation to damp and mould, whether this is in empty homes or in the home where you live.

8. Complaints and compensation scheme

We are aware of the unacceptable levels of service some families in SFA have received under the new housing contract and we continue to raise issues on your behalf to the service providers. We now need to see real change and prompt improvements.


If you are experiencing issues and would like to raise a complaint please read on. If you have raised a complaint and this is not yet resolved, do contact us for further support.



If you are not happy with the level of service you have received from the maintenance contractor you can make a formal complaint. The complaint process is split into 3 stages, as outlined below.

Stage 1

Stage 1 – Pinnacle Service Families

You must file your complaint within 28 days of the incident. The National Service Centre team will investigate and aim to resolve or respond within 10 working days in accordance with JSP 464 (vol 1, part 1).

Stage 2

Stage 2 – Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO)

If your complaint has been formally closed at stage 1 and you are not satisfied with the response, you can then escalate your complaint to the DIO Customer Services Team.


You can do this in 3 ways:

  1. Online: by completing the online stage 2 complaint form, which for security reasons is only available on the MOD Intranet. To access the form, copy and paste the following URL into your browser address bar when logged on to the Defence Intranet:


  1. Email: by emailing the DIO Customer Service Team ( setting out your stage 2 complaint so that you include:
  • the stage 1 complaint reference number;
  • your name and telephone number;
  • the SFA address relating to your complaint;
  • why you are not happy with the result of your stage 1 complaint;
  • what desired outcome or remedy you are seeking.

Any emails not containing all of this information will not be accepted by the Customer Service Team.


  1. By writing to the DIO Customer Service Team setting out your stage 2 complaint ensuring you include the information highlighted above.

Customer Service Team

DIO Service Delivery Accommodation

Ground Floor, Mail Point No. 4

Swales Pavilion

RAF Wyton


PE28 2EA


If you make a stage 2 complaint, DIO will have access to your stage 1 complaints details and records, so you do not need to re-submit the full details of your complaint.


DIO will acknowledge it within 3 working days and provide you with a reference number. An investigation will then be carried out, however there is no standard response time due to the need to further investigate complaints that vary in nature and complexity.

Stage 3

Stage 3 – Independent Housing Review Panel

Following the closure of a stage 2 complaint, a request for a Stage 3 policy review can be submitted:




  • Letter:

Accommodation Complaints Review Panel Secretariat, People Accommodation,

Ministry of Defence,

Floor 6, Zone N,

Main Building,





The MOD and its industry partners aim to provide the highest possible standard of service to those entitled Service personnel and their families who live SFA and SSFA homes in the UK. When those standards are not met through either significant defect(s) at move in and/or missed appointments, the industry partners will recognise this by paying compensation, through High Street vouchers only, to offset any inconvenience caused.


Pinnacle administer the compensation schemes. To check if you are entitled to compensation and details on how to claim please visit Pinnacle’s website.


*Please be aware that you must submit your request for compensation within 28 days of the date the issue occurred, or the request will be out of scope and cannot be investigated.

Total Heating Loss Compensation

Compensation is being issued to families to cover increased energy costs incurred by using temporary heaters. £20 in cash via bank transfer (not voucher) per day can be claimed by families without heating. This is made via bank transfer, not vouchers.


You can submit your claim via their online form.

9. Loss of entitlement

Entitlement or eligibility to occupy SFA can end at different times during Service and may occur for a number of reasons such as discharge, retirement, marital or relationship breakdown and bereavement.


All circumstances which may result in loss of entitlement must be communicated to the DIO Loss of Entitlement (LOE) team. If you have any enquiries relating to the loss of entitlement now or in the future please contact the LOE Team by email


If you believe that you will lose entitlement to SFA in the future, or find yourself in this situation, advice is available from a variety of sources such as the Defence Transition Services (DTS) team (formerly Joint Service Housing Advice Office), Service charities; Families Federations; housing advice centres; and local authorities.


Further information and guidance in relation to Loss of Entitlement can be found in JSP 464 (Vol 1, Part 1, Chapter 7).

10. Retention

Entitlement to SFA/SSFA normally ceases at the previous duty station on the date of assignment, however there are certain circumstances and for specific periods of time, where retention of the current home can be considered and allowed.


There has to be explicit reasons to retain that are recognised under the regulations and you will need to provide appropriate supporting documentation at the time of the application. A number of retention criteria require Chain of Command support particularly for welfare or medical reasons when, in the first instance, the Local Service Commander will consider the case in consultation with appropriate medical, welfare (Royal Navy Family & People Support – RN FPS and Divisional system), educational agencies and Pinnacle Service Families.


If agreed, retentions can be granted for a period of up to 12 months (you can re-request prior to expiry if the circumstances continue to persist) and confirms continued entitled occupation for allowance and disturbance purposes.


If a retention request is unsuccessful it does not form any kind of barrier to future use of SFA, but it may be that if you wish to stay in a particular location (other than Port Area) for a period of time beyond assignment dates, then housing options outside the SFA estate will need to be considered such as rental or purchase.


There are schemes for Tenancy Deposit Loans (DIB201516) which enables personnel to receive an advance of pay for rental properties or the Forces Help to Buy Scheme for assistance to buy into the property market.


Other circumstances in which retention may be granted include welfare, medical, educational, operational deployments and spouses on adult educational courses.


Retention is fully covered in JSP464 (Vol 1 Part, 1, Chapter 7, Section VIII) and includes guidance for all retention criteria.


To discuss retention related enquiries or to send in supporting evidence for retentions, contact

Base Port Agreement

If you are occupying service family accommodation in one of the three Base Port Areas (Portsmouth, Plymouth or Faslane) then you can retain your service family accommodation on assignment to a new Duty Station, but in advance of your assignment date you must log onto the e1132 form (application to occupy SFA) via the Defence Intranet and click the button ‘retain current SFA on posting within the Base Port Scheme’. This should be done within 14 days of receiving your Assignment Order and should be done on each assignment in order for your retention expiry date to be amended. Your occupancy data is updated and your continued entitled occupation can be confirmed for allowance purposes or for disturbance if moving at a later date. You will receive a retention certificate, keep this safe.


What happens in the background is that the stock management system then recognises you as part of the RN/RM and therefore able to remain in your Port Area. If you don’t inform the ‘system’ that you wish to remain, it thinks that there is not a match between your assignment location and SFA location which prompts the system to issue you with a Notice to Vacate.


You need to be aware that if you occupy SSFA in one of the Port Areas, retention will be granted, but you will be expected to move to SFA if and when there is suitable availability within that Port Area.


If you are serving away from a Base Port area and you are then assigned away from the area then you should apply for SFA at your next place of duty. There are exceptions to this regulation however and in these cases you must apply for a retention. (see above)

11. Moving out

A change of assignment or any other reason for moving, such as leaving the Service you need to book a pre-move out appointment. This is when a housing officer will visit your home to go through the process and will advise on anything you need to do to get your home to move out standard. This tells you what is required to avoid any potential charges when you leave.


On the day you move out the housing officer will visit at an agreed time, to check through the home with you. If the standard is not satisfactory and there are deficiencies or damages that are not considered to be fair wear and tear, or you have failed to clean the property properly, a charge will be raised and you will be invoiced accordingly.


Final utility readings will also be recorded by the housing officer, but it is your responsibility to tell your utility providers that you are moving out and you must supply them with the final meter readings, Pinnacle cannot do this for you.


Don’t forget to have your post re-directed before you leave, the service accommodation you’re moving out of may not be occupied afterwards and any post sent to your old address not picked up.


Full details of the move out process and a move out standard checklist can be found on Pinnacle’s website.


There is no walkaway scheme or any equivalent under this contract as there was previously. This was removed in March 2022.

Removal services

Agility Logistics Limited (Agility) is the MOD approved service provider for removals and is part of the Global Removal Management Services (GRMS). It is essential that you give Agility the maximum amount of contact details possible, such as personal email addresses and phone numbers, including your spouse/partners.

Damage and deficiencies - charges recovery from pay

When you move out of UK SFA and SSFA, you may be liable for charges for damages or deficiencies that are not classed as fair wear and tear or because you have failed to prepare the property to the correct standard, for example cleanliness.


DIO can take these directly from the pay of serving personnel. Any payments taken depend on the size of the charge and individual monthly income (using MOD guidelines to ensure that deductions do not exceed a set limit of pay).


If you consider that you are not responsible for the charges, or part of them, for example that the damage is the result of fair wear and tear, you are able to dispute the charge raised.


Full details on moving out of your SFA and recoveries from pay are available in:

  • JSP 464 (Part 1)
  • JSP 754: Recoveries from pay (available on the Defence Intranet only
12. Sub-letting of SFA

The DIO initiated a long-term project to sub-let empty Service homes that are not currently required.


Empty properties do not generate any income, and instead draws revenue away that could otherwise be invested elsewhere in the estate.


The needs of Service personnel and their families has been considered throughout this project, therefore entitled and eligible Service personnel continue to take priority for SFA and should apply for accommodation as they normally would.


Where there is no requirement from Service families, empty properties will be considered on a site by site basis in consultation with local commanders, for sub-let to private tenants – who will be subject to credit and reference checks. This will be on a short-term arrangement, so these properties can be returned back under MOD control, if a requirement emerges.


Overall, the plan was to implement this project without disadvantaging Service personnel, whilst maximising revenue from rental receipts from empty properties that are currently not required.


Questions and Answers
Why are they being sub-let?
  • Why are these properties being sub-let?

The current size and cost of the Defence estate is not sustainable, including the cost of maintaining empty Service homes. The MOD and DIO are undertaking a number of initiatives to address these issues. In addition to other initiatives such as disposals, a sub-let project has begun with the aim of generating income through short term lets, whilst providing flexibility to meet the future needs of defence.

Agility Logistics Limited (Agility) is the MOD approved service provider for removals and is part of the Global Removal Management Services (GRMS). It is essential that you give Agility the maximum amount of contact details possible, such as personal email addresses and phone numbers, including your spouse/partners.

How many houses could be sub-let under this arrangement?
  • How many houses could be sub-let under this arrangement?

An initial 2,300 homes could be made available under these arrangements.

Where is the additional revenue going?
  • Where is the additional revenue going?

Revenue raised by this project will be returned to DIO as part of its overall running and investment in the estate – therefore it will be targeted to where it is needed most to meet the needs of defence.

How has security been considered?
  • How has security been considered?

Specific security issues will be considered at each site. Furthermore, every potential private tenant will be subject to credit and reference checks.

Has the Chain of Command been consulted?
  • Has the Chain of Command been consulted?

The Chain of Command and other stakeholders will be consulted and their feedback will be taken into consideration. Service families in each area will also be informed.

Who is going to get these houses?
  • Who is going to get these houses?

The properties will be available on the open private rental market, with potential tenants subject to normal credit and reference checks.

Will it affect Service families’ access to housing or the maintenance service?
  • Will it affect Service families’ access to housing or the maintenance service?

Service families will continue to get Service homes and the normal contracted response repair times will continue to apply. We will monitor this performance as we do now.

Will the properties be improved for the private tenants?
  • Will the properties be improved for the private tenants?

These properties will not be improved, but they will be prepared and checked for maintenance and safety prior to occupation, just as they are for Service families prior to move in. Investment for improving Service homes will continue to be targeted at homes occupied by Service families.