Supporting Service Children in Education (SSCE) Cymru is a Welsh Local Government Association programme initially funded by the MOD’s Education Support Fund and funded by Welsh Government from 2019.
Since the programme began in 2014 SSCE Cymru has worked with schools, children and young people, Local authorities, Welsh Government, education professionals, Armed Forces families and support organisations to gather their views and experiences, build networks across Wales and raise awareness and understanding of the experiences of children of Armed Forces personnel. SSCE Cymru has developed guidance and digital resources for schools and families, hosted conferences and stakeholder days and commissioned research to better understand the needs of Service children in education.
In 2019, SSCE Cymru invited all schools in Wales that have Service children enrolled to participate in a survey. The topics included:
- School information – e.g. number of Service children, language of school, location
- Mobility data – number of Service children joining and leaving the school
- Challenges – those that Service children face in education, and schools face in supporting them
- Support – that schools offer to their Service children, including mental health and wellbeing assistance, and how schools are working collaboratively
- Funding – that schools are accessing, and what it is being used for
- Armed Forces community – and how schools are engaging with it
- SSCE Cymru resources – to learn what schools would find beneficial in helping them to support their Service children
- SSCE Cymru training – to identify what type of training schools would like, and for who
You can download the full survey findings here.
Listening to our Service children
In 2019/20, SSCE Cymru ran a number discussion groups in schools in Wales, to hear from Service children about their experiences of education in Wales.
These findings will feed into the Year of the Service Child Voice project by the Service Children’s Progression Alliance (SCiP Alliance).
You can download the full project analysis here.
Posted on: 31st March, 2020